Thursday, November 13, 2008

Nichole Frye was a soldier killed in Iraq during a bombing. She was not supposed to be in direct line of fire, but this war is unlike any other, and there is no "safe zone" in Iraq. Frye's job was to transport books, food and water to Iraqi civilians. What an honorable thing to do, to attempt to make other's lives better. My heart goes out to Nichole's family. Frye's godmother sees her death as 'a lesson on gender equality'. "I believe women should be respected more than what they are." I agree. It's time for everyone to appreciate woman and respect her. 

American Soldier song By Toby Keith
I'm just trying to be a father
Raise a daughter and a son
Be a lover to their mother
Everything to everyone
Up and at 'em bright and early
I'm all business in my suit
Yeah I'm dressed up for success 
From my head down to my boots
I don't do it for the money
There's bills that I can't pay
I don't do it for the glory
I just do it anyway
Providing for our future's my responsibility
Yeah I'm real good under pressure
Being all that I can be
I can't call in sick on Mondays 
When the weekend's been too strong
I just work straight through the holidays
Sometimes all night long
You can bet that I stand ready 
When the wolf growls at the door
Yeah I'm solid, yeah I'm steady
Hey I'm true down to the core
And I will always do my duty
No matter what the price
I've counted up the cost
I know the sacrifice
Oh and I don't wanna die for you
But if dying's asked of me
I'll bear that cross with honor
Because freedom don't come free
CHORUS:
I'm an American soldier, 
An American.
Beside my brothers and my sisters
I will proudly take a stand
When liberty's in jeopardy
I'll always do what's right
I'm out here on the front lines
Sleep in peace tonight.
American Soldier.
I'm an American soldier.

This video brought back a lot of memories for me of watching a soldier leaving on the plane, waving his family goodbye. I could picture my brother leaving his wife, his family, and his newborn child to board a plane to only he knew where. It turned out he went to Pakistan. This is a very emotional video, but the emotion is real. The children are both crying and the wife is trying to be strong for her kids. Real soldiers are like this. They are fighting for our liberty. Do they want to die? No, but they understand the chance is great, but they do it for their country and for their people. 

This site is dedicated to women who fought in the Civil War. It is common knowledge that women were not allowed to fight in wars back then, as we were not even allowed the right to vote or the right to maintain a job, but there were women who fought, not just from the sidelines. Many women disguised themselves as men to fight. The actual number of women deaths are not known, unfortunately, but this site is dedicated to those brave women that fought and fell. According to this site, it was rather easy for women to pass off as men and fight in the war. All they had to do was shave their hair and don the soldierly attire, and BAM they were in. Back then there were no physical examinations to deter women from sneaking into the military. This is a pretty cool site, so check it out and enjoy the relaxing music. 

So the marines now have a new slogan: 'There are no female marines, only marines'. What do you guys think about this slogan? It's supposed to target females to encourage them to join. The article also states that more women have died in the war in Iraq than in all previous wars combined.

No comments: